Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stake conference

So Dad and I went to Stake conference last night. Except for the hot room and the uncomfortable chairs it was an excellent meeting.
We had an Elder Hendrickson from the 70 speak to us. He said a lot of great things but I loved when he talked about the hymn #85 How Firm a Foundation. He said that most hymns are written as praise for God or about God. This one is written as words from God.

Verse 3
Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

Verse 4
When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow,
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee, And sanctify to thee,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

Verse 7
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!

Just before his talk a woman from our stake that had been through a divorce talked about a personal relationship with the Savior. It was a very moving night.

My favorite part of the night was Amy Bigelow. She talked about how being a stay at home mom blesses the life of her children and her family. I really loved it because she works now. To me it was a great example of no matter whether women work or stay home they are great blessings. The thoughts Amy shared with us really hit home to me. I only was sad when she sounded like she doubts her self and the influence she has. Why do we as women doubt ourselves and our divinity. I was sad because I always have those same doubts.

So.......daughters (that's all you daughters-in-law also). No more doubts.
When Satan begins to creep in to our thoughts--sing How Firm a Foundation really loud! (OK Sons and son in law you can do it too.)
That's my new thing to help me. You all help me on a regular basis want to be better and live a life that will keep me close to you all for eternity.

I love you all. Mom

1 comment:

Hannah Cobabe said...

I love that he pointed that out about the song. That is one of my favorites (because I can play the easy version on the piano).

love you mama